The Shadow Service is headed by the Chancellor of Information and his second-in-command, the Deputy. Directly below the Deputy Chancellor are the chiefs of the Shadow Service: Chief Falcon, Chief Harvester, Chief of Nursemaids, and Chief of Hostlers. Directly below the chiefs are the Deputies to the Chief Falcon, Chief of Nursemaids, and Chief of Hostlers. Below the Deputy Chiefs are the Harvesters outside of Tortall. Next are the Nursemaids, who oversee Sparrows and Hostlers (Hostlers oversee their own trainees). At the bottom of the organization are the Nurselings.
- Sir Myles of Olau - Chancellor of Information, codename "Father"
- Baron George of Pirate's Swoop - Deputy Chancellor of Operations, codename "The Whisper Man"
- Commander Evin Larse - Chief Falcon, codename "John Juggler"
- Stefan Groomsman - Chief Harvester, codename "Stabler"
- Rebekah Lofts - Chief of Nursemaids, codename "Scarlet"
- Fallow Deer - Deputy Nursemaid
- Ahmet Kemail - Chief of Hostlers, codename "Hurrock"
Stationed in Tortall
- Nurseling Alianne of Pirate's Swoop - codename "Birdsong"
- Hostler Low Tide
- Hostler Onua Chamtong - horse-mistress for the Queen's Riders
- Sparrow Ghost - assigned to the Grand Progress
- Hostler Spear - assigned to the Grand Progress
- Singing Man - may be another codename for Stefan
- Hoster Veery
- Agent Bluebird
- Nurseling Uline of Hannalof - codename "Capriole"
- Sparrow Hearth - male sparrow assigned to the Tortallan Palace
- Nursemaid Beehive
- Harvester Scalzin - stationed at Fort Mastiff
- Hostler Irhad
- Hostler Slowbrook - stationed in the Royal Forest
- Harvester Crossways - stationed in the Royal Forest
- Sparrow Fetlock
- Nursemaid Sweetening
- Rushpipe - formerly stationed in Tusaine, killed by George and Alianne in Pearlmouth, April 21, 459 HE
- Scribe Harvest Spider - stationed in Rachia, Sarain
- Hostler Bifu - stationed in the Yamani Islands
- Sparrow Mus - stationed in Kaaber village, Scanra
- Nurselings - future Sparrows and Hostlers who are still in training with Nursemaids
- Sparrows - Nurselings who have passed their testing, and are set to gathering intelligence, writing reports, passing on coded messages, and dealing with Magpies
- Hostlers - agents who tack people, cultivate Magpies and Defectors, travel covertly and conduct interrogations. Hostlers, when necessary to perform their jobs, may pick pockets, commit robbery, sabotage, assault, or murder. There are very few hostlers in the Shadow Service.
- Nursemaids - former Sparrows or Hostlers who train Nurselings, gather reports from and pass on orders to Sparrows and Hostlers under them, and develop and compile intelligence. Nursemaids and their Nurselings are stationed in Corus at the Nursery until their Nurselings are ready to train in the field.
- Harvesters - senior Sparrows, Hostlers, or Nursemaids who are charged with gathering information from other Nursemaids and ensuring it is safely delivered to Corus. Harvesters also pass on information to Nursemaids and are often diplomats (e.g. ambassadors), parts of caravans or ships' crews, traveling priests, or Players. Harvesters do not develop intelligences, they only appraise and rate it and deliver it to Corus.
- Falcons - in charge of Shadow Service operations and intelligence in a territory, inside and outside of Tortall. Falcons collect all reports from Harvesters, arrange meetings with Sparrows and Hostlers, have lawful covers, and pass on orders and information to others in the Service.
- Owls - civilians with magic, special knowledge, or research not available in libraries, who are happy to lend a hand to agents in the Shadow Service. Owls can be mages, traveling merchants, Players, immortals, or Gifted animals.
- Magpies - informants
- Defectors - traitors to other nations