This timeline attempts to list all known, relevant, events that have occurred in the Tortallan Universe, by date. The information is taken from the novels and the companion guide and supplemented with information provided by Tamora Pierce in interviews and online.
Early History BHE (AE)
- Prior to this date, Romnan of the Many Heirs split his Northern Empire into three smaller empires for his sons: the Eastern Empire, the Southern Empire, and the Floating Empire
- Asaron I of Rethaward became Emperor of the Eastern Empire
780 - 795 AE
- Choking of the Drell; a massive earthquake destroyed the capital of the Eastern Empire that sat on the River Drell, raising the land and creating a waterfall and lake
- King Newlin I of Conté founded the sovereign nation of Tortall, created the Book of Gold, and founded the College of Heralds
900 AE (01 Modern Human Era)
- Official calendar renamed by the Schools of Heraldry to celebrate the expulsion of the immortals
- The Eastern Empire was renamed the Eastern Lands, consisting of the nations of Galla, Tusaine, Tortall, Maren, and Barzun
- The Southern Empire was renamed the Carthaki Empire (Carthak), consisting of Amar, Apal, Ekallatum, Shusin, Yamut, and Zallara
- The Floating Empire became the Kyprin Isles, the Yamani Islands, and Scanra
- Creation of the Book of Silver
1st Century HE
75 - 77 HE
- Giamo of Galla was first seen wearing the Dominion Jewel
- Giamo conquered most of eastern Scanra
82 - 125 HE
- Parrac the Quiet inherited the throne of the Gallan Empire; the empire began to fall apart shortly after as his rivals fought for the land the Giamo conquered
- Miache Waterborn stole the Dominion Jewel
- Miache and Zefrem the Bear helped found the Tyran Council of Seven
2nd Century HE
- Treaty of the Falls at the end of the last Gallan war; signed by the kings of Maren, Tortall, and Galla
- The Tortallan Provost's Guard is founded by King Baird III of Tortall
- Padraig of haMinch is made the First Lord Provost of Tortall
- Prior to this date, Queen Imiary VI Haiming is overthrown and murdered after a twelve-year reign of the Copper Isles by Queen Dilsubai Haiming, the last native Kyprish ruler
- April 5 - Oronden Rittevon of Lenman (a Marenite) and his allies, including Ludas Jimajen (a Tyran), begin the Luarin Conquest of the Copper Isles
- June - Final battle of the Plain of Sorrows; 1/3 of the Kyrpish warriors were women
- Queen Dilsubai of the Copper Isles is betrayed to the white invaders and slain
- Midsummer's Day - Rittevon is crowned ruler of the Copper Isles
3rd Century HE
- 8-year-old Beka leads Lord Provost Gershom of Haryse, to the Bold Brass gang
- Lord Gershom brings Beka and her family into his home
- Firefall (February 1) - Shadow Snake kidnaps Calum Painter, the young son of Amaya and Vonti Painter, near in Nightmarket in the Lower City of Corus
- April 1 - Beka's first day as a trainee Dog with Matthias Tunstall and Clara Goodwin
- April 6 - Beka learns that 3-year-old Rolond Lofts has been killed by the Shadow Snake
- May 14 - Mistress Noll and the Shadow Snake gang face the Court after being caught by Beka
4th Century HE
5th Century HE
400 - 429 HE
- Ralon of Malven is born
- Gareth (the Younger) of Naxen is born to Duke Gareth and Duchess Roanna of Naxen
- Raoul of Goldenlake is born
- Alexander of Tirragen is born
- Francis of Nond is born
- May - Thom and Alanna of Trebond are born to Lord Alan and Lady Marinie of Trebond; Lady Marinie dies in childbirth
- Thayet jian Wilima is born to Warlord Adigun jin Wilima and Kalasin of the Hau Ma in Sarain
- Arram Draper (Numair Salmalín) is born to Yusaf (father) and Kabidi Draper (mother) in Tyra no earlier than September
- Buriram Tourakom is born to Susatahan Longprum (father) and Thiratay Tourakom (mother) in Sarain
- Anders of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Baroness Ilane Evleyn of Mindelan no later than this year (Add references - 18 years from when they leave for the Isles - FT/T:ASG)
430 - 439 HE
Start of Alanna: The First Adventure
- March (at the latest) - Thom and Alanna of Trebond switch places, heading to the City of the Gods and the Tortallan Royal Palace, respectively; Alanna chooses to go by the name "Alan of Trebond"
- May (before the 24th) - Alanna and Thom turn 11
- Alanna and Gary meet George in the city
- Summer - Ralon breaks Alanna's arm
- Mid-October - Alanna's arm is completely healed; she begins hand-to-hand training with George
- December - Alanna defeats Ralon shortly before Midwinter; Ralon chooses to leave court
- Midwinter - Gary, Raoul, Alex, and other 14 year olds are made squires
- March - Sweating Sickness reaches Tortall
- Spring - Trip to Port Caynn; Alanna begins binding her chest
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 12
- August - Duke Roger of Conté arrives at the palace
- Autumn - Alanna introduces Jonathan to George; she and Jon purchase Moonlight and Darkness
- Alanna, Geoffrey of Meron, Sacherell of Wellam, and Douglass (the four youngest pages) begin fencing lessons
- Winter/ Spring - Alanna and Sacherell duel; Sacherell trounces her
- May 5 - Alanna reveals her true identity to George; he introduces her to his mother, Eleni Cooper
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 13
- At some point during this year (presumably late August, early September), 7 year old Arram Draper beings studying in the School for Mages at the Imperial University of Carthak
- Autumn - Sir Myles invites Alanna to visit Barony Olau; Alanna finds Lightning in his ruins
- Winter - Jonathan befriends the cityfolk
- Duke Roger asks Alex to be his personal squire
- Spring - Gary, Raoul, and Alex have reached their 18th birthdays; Jonathan will turn 17 within the year
- April - Lord Martin of Meron arrives at the palace; Alanna defeats Geoffrey in a fencing duel
- Squires and Alanna accompany Lord Martin on a trip to Fief Meron, Persopolis, and the Black City
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 14
- Summer - Pages take a trip to Fief Naxen; Alanna stays behind
- Midwinter - Squires take their Ordeals of Knighthood
- Pages become squires
End of Alanna: The First Adventure
Start of In the Hand of the Goddess
- Alanna meets the Great Mother Goddess
- Alanna finds Faithful
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 15
- July - Tusaine embassy arrives at the palace
- Alanna defeats Sir Dain of Melor in a duel
- Duke Roger begins to doubt "Alan" and send people to keep an eye on Thom
- August - Alanna has her first kiss, with George Cooper
- Prince Jonathan turns 18
- Delia of Eldorne arrives at court
- At some point during this year, Adigun jin Wilima becomes the Warlord of Sarain
- At some point during this year, Arram Draper, later to be know as Numair Salmalin will start at The Imperial Universtiy of Cathak - The School for Mages: Lower Academy for Youthful Mages
- January - A boar attacks Alanna while she's camping in the Royal Forest
- Gary and Raoul fight over Lady Delia's riding glove and are sent out on border patrol
- March - Alanna and Alex duel; Alex breaks her collarbone
- April - George gives Alanna information about Tusaine, which she passes on to Sir Myles
- King Roald sends out a Call to Muster
- Tusaine War
- Beltane (May 1) - Sarra Beneksri meets Weiryn, the hunt god, and conceives a child (Add reference - Wild Magic)
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 16
- June - Alanna helps Duke Baird heal wounded soldiers (Add reference - ITHOTG)
- July - Duke Roger confronts Alanna
- August - King Roald and King Ain of Tusaine sign a peace treaty and the Tortallan army returns to Corus
- Alanna asks Eleni Cooper to teach her how to be a woman
- October 14th - Arram Draper meets and becomes roomate with Prince Ozorne Tasikhe and friends with Varice Kingsford
- Winter - Palace hunters search for the wolf, Demon Grey (February 436 - ITHOTG, reports start of wolves in early December 435)
- At some point during this year, Adalia of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Baroness Ilane of Mindelan (add reference - First Test, Cast of Characters)
- At some point during this year, Kaddar Ghazanoi Iliniat is born to Princess Fazia Tasikhe Iliniat and a Zallaran Iliniat prince (Add reference - EM)
- Late January - Veralidaine Sarrasri is born to Sarra Beneksri in Galla
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 17
- Alanna and Jonathan become lovers
- October - Queen Lianne falls ill
- Uline of Hannalof is born
- At some point during this year, Oranie of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Baroness Ilane of Mindelan (add reference - First Test, Cast of Character - same as Adie)
- January - Alanna falls through the ice while skating on a frozen pond for a bet with Alex of Tirragen and nearly drowns (Add reference ITHOTG)
- Spring - Dusan zhir Anduo attempts to overthrow Warlord Adigun and take the Saren throne
- April - George and Alanna travel to the City of the Gods; Thom has passed his written exam for Mastery
- George is nearly killed on the return to Corus
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 18
- Alanna's friends surprise her with gifts of weapons and armor (Add reference - ITHOTG)
- May 23rd - Arram Draper, Prince, Ozorne Tasikhe, and Varice Kingsford are all moved from the Lower Academy to the Upper in the Carthak Imperial University School for Magic
- Summer/ Autumn - Alanna reveals her true identity to Gary of Naxen
- October - Saren Civil War begins
- Midwinter - Alanna passes her Ordeal of Knighthood
- December 1st Arram Draper agrees to take charge of a Sunbird he will name Preet for the Crocodile God Enzi in excange for any favor he may ask
End of In the Hand of the Goddess
Start of The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
- Alanna finds the crystal sword
- Alanna and Coram become join the Bloody Hawk Bazhir tribe
- Ali Mukhtab arrives at the Bloody Hawk camp
- Coram rides north to fetch Jonathan
- Akhnan ibn Nazzir tries to kill Alanna with the crystal sword
- Alanna begins training her new apprentices, Kara, Kourrem, and Ishak
- Alanna and her apprentices have their first battle; Ishak is killed
- A week later - Alanna and visiting shamans from other tribes start a shaman school
- Sir Myles and Prince Jonathan arrive at the Bloody Hawk
- Jonathan passes his trial by combat and becomes a member of the tribe
- Alanna is officially adopted by Sir Myles, with Kara and Kourrem as witnesses, a Bazhir first for women
- Full moon - Kara and Kourrem pass their Rite of Shamans
- New moon - Jonathan becomes the Voice of the Tribes; Ali Mukhtab dies during the ceremony
- Jonathan returns to Corus and beings courting Princess Josiane Rittevon of the Copper Isles (Add reference - WWRLAM)
- Alanna and Coram travel to Port Caynn to visit George; Coram meets Rispah Cooper
- May 3 - Kalasin of Sarain commits suicide
- May - Alanna and Thom turn 19
- August/ September - Nealan of Queenscove is born to Duke Baird and Duchess Wilina of Queenscove
- All Hallow - Thom steals Alanna's power and uses it to resurrect Duke Roger of Conté (Add reference - WWRLAM)
- Week after Midwinter - A maid attempts to poison George and his companions at House Azik (Add reference - WWRLAM)
- At some point during this year, Lerant of Eldorne is born to one of Lady Delia's brothers (Add reference - Squire)
- King Roald introduced Page Examinations
- January - Coram and Alanna travel south again
- Halef Seif sends Alanna to Lake Tirragen to help the Sorceress of Alois
- Days later - Before dying, the sorceress gives Alanna a map to the Dominion Jewel
Start of Lioness Rampant
- March - Alanna and Coram arrive in Berat to find Nahom Jendrai
- Alanna meets Liam Ironarm, the Shang Dragon
- Queen Lianne dies
- Three weeks later - King Roald dies in a hunting "accident"
- April - Alanna, Coram, and Liam leave Maren
- Liam beings teaching Alanna how to fight using Shang techniques
- Alanna meets Princess Thayet jian Wilima and Buriram Tourakom; she escorts them to Rachia
- April/ May - Great Market Riot takes place in Corus
- May - Alanna and her traveling company pass through Sarain's eastern border and head toward the Roof of the World
- Sir Raoul meets up with Alanna and takes her home to Tortall
- Jonathan appoints Alanna to the position of King's Champion two days after her return to Corus
- June (Beltane) - Jonathan pardons and ennobles George Cooper
- July (Full moon) - Jonathan is crowned King of Tortall
- Master Si-cham is murdered by Princess Josiane of the Copper Isles (Add reference - LR)
- Thom is murdered by Duke Roger (Add reference - LR)
- Duke Gareth of Naxen suffers a heart attack
- Alanna kills, Josiane, Lord Alexander of Tirragen, and Duke Roger (Add reference - LR)
- Liam Ironarm is killed while protecting King Jonathan (Add reference - LR)
- Alanna returns to the desert and discovers a new constellation, The Cat, in the sky (Add reference - LR)
- Autumn - Famine spreads in Tortall as a result of Jonathan using the Dominion Jewel
- October (2nd week) - Buri and Thayet visit Alanna
- King Jonathan announces his engagement to Princess Thayet
- George proposes to Alanna and she accepts
- November - King Jonathan marries Princess Thayet of Sarain (Add reference - T:ASG)
- Midwinter - Sir Myles of Olau marries Eleni Cooper (Add reference - LR)
- Coram Smythesson marries Rispah Cooper (Add reference - LR)
End of Lioness Rampant
440 - 449 HE
- First year of the reign of King Jonathan IV of Tortall
- Education becomes available to all Tortallans and schools are opened throughout the realm
- Crown Prince Roald of Conté is born to King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté
- Maura of Dunlath is born
- Joren of Stone Mountain is born to Lord Burchard and his Lady Stone Mountain
- Cleon of Kennan is born
- Vinson of Genlith is born
- Balduin of Disart is born
- Zahir ibn Alhaz is born
- Garvey of Runnerspring is born
(July: First anniversary of Jonathan's coronation celebrated with a royal progress throughout Tortall - can't find a reference for this piece of info in any of the novels - input welcome)
- Second year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Princess Kalasin of Conté is born to King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté
- Faleron of King's Reach is born
- Yukimi noh Daiomoru is born in the Yamani Islands
- Yancen of Irenroha and Ragnal of Darroch are born (presumed) (Add reference - POTS)
- Their Majesties King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté commission a revised map of Tortall
- Third year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- King Jonathan and Queen Thayet proclaim that girls can train for knighthood
- Ozorne Tasikhe is crowned Emperor of Carthak
- Queen Thayet established the Queen's Riders
- June - Keladry of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Baroness Ilane of Mindelan
- Merric of Hollyrose is born
- Seaver of Tasride is born
- Quinden of Marti's Hill is born
- Esmond of Nicoline is born (presumed) (Add reference - POTS)
- Jessamine of Queenscove is born to Duke Baird and Duchess Wilina of Queenscove (Add reference - FT)
- Lord Wyldon of Cavall accepts the post of Training Master
- Ozorne Muhassin Tasikhe is crowned Emperor of Carthak. A prophecy is made that hyenas will lead his doom to him.
- Fourth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Prince Liam of Conté is born to King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté
- Thom of Pirate's Swoop is born to Baron George Cooper and Baroness Sir Alanna of Pirate's Swoop
- Owen of Jesslaw is born
- Prosper of Tameran is born
- Teron of Blythdin is born
- Arram Draper flees Carthak and changes his name to Numair Salmalín
- Arram Draper flees Carthak and his former friend, Emperor Ozorne, leaving behind his lover, Varice Kingsford. He changes his name to Numair Salmalin, and works as a street magician in Tortall.
- Fifth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Prince Jasson of Conté is born to King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté
- Warric of Mandash is born
- Iden of Vikison Lake is born
- Sixth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Princess Lianne of Conté is born to King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté
- Alan of Pirate's Swoop is born to Baron George Cooper and Baroness Sir Alanna of Pirate's Swoop
- Alianne of Pirate's Swoop is born to Baron George Cooper and Baroness Sir Alanna of Pirate's Swoop
- Seventh year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Princess Vania of Conté is born to King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Conté
- Saraiyu Balitang is born to Duke Mequen and Duchess Sarugani Balitang
- Ambassador Baron Piers of Mindelan and his family go to the Yamani Islands, representing Tortall
- Timon Greendale reorganizes palace service
- Conal of Mindelan dangles his four-year-old sister Keladry over a tower balcony, inspiring her fear of heights.
- Kaddar's father, a Zallaran prince, dies putting down a rebellion in Siraj.
- Approximate birth year of Fianola. [Squire, Ch. 15]
- Eighth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Carthaki mages find spells to open the Divine Realms
- Ilane of Mindelan saves sacred Yamani relic swords from invading pirates
- Salma Aynnar joins the palace staff; Conal of Mindelan is still in training
- Lord Wyldon defeats Sir Raoul of Goldenlake in a joisting match, throwing him from the saddle
- Drought and famine begin in Carthak, continuing through the end of Ozorne's reign.
- Lady Ilane of Mindelan holds off Scanran pirates, using a glaive. The incident makes a huge impression on her five-year-old daughter Keladry, and results in a treaty between the Yamani Islands and Tortall.
- A page commits suicide by jumping off the tower called Balor's Needle, after failing his examinations.
- Thayet ruins her pink tissue dress riding to the aid of the Fifth Rider Group.
- Ninth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Keladry of Mindelan beings glaive training
- Rumors of Immortals begin to circulate throughout the Eastern lands.
- Winter: Food riots in Carthak.
- Approximate birth year of Yvenne. [Squire, Ch. 15]
- Tenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Winter - Veraildaine Sarrasri's family is attacked and her home destroyed
Start of Wild Magic
- March - Onua Chamtong hires Daine at the Cría fair
- Daine is visited by the Badger for the first time
- Daine finds Numair Salmalín
- Lord Sinthya escapes from Carthak
- April - Daine, Onua, and Numair arrive in Corus
- Daine takes a job with the Queen's Riders and learns about her wild magic
- Stormwings attack the Tortallan palace
- May - King Jonathan rides from Corus on progress
- Siege of Pirate's Swoop; Pirate's Swoop is surrounded by unmarked enemy army and navy
- A dragon is called from the Divine Realms; Daine heals her
- Daine calls to a kraken; it comes to her aid and destroys the enemy navy while Daine, the Riders, and Pirate's Swoop's guard destroy the army
- Daine finds a baby dragon, Skysong, after its mother is killed fighting the enemy ships
End of Wild Magic
- Late January to February: Daine's family are killed by raiders. Daine joins a wolf pack and seeks revenge. Villagers from Snowsdale hunt her down. Daine and Cloud head south. Daine turns 13.
- Spring: Snowsdale hunters drive the wolf pack from their home, killing several pack members, including all of the pups.
- April: Daine and Onua encounter immortals, a hawk-shaped Numair, and Alanna on the road. They arrive in Corus, and Onua offers Daine a permanent position as her assistant. Stormwings openly attack the capital, but are repelled thanks to Daine's early warning. Daine becomes Numair's student and begins to learn about wild magic.
- September: Kitten eats a box of myrrh and burps smoke for a week.
- Autumn: Snowsdale wolf pack arrives at Long Lake. An earthquake exposes a vein of opal in the hills near Dunlath.
450 - 459 HE
- Eleventh year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- January - Daine turns 14
- Kudarung (winged horses) return to the Copper Isles
- Dovasary Balitang is born to Duke Mequen and Duchess Sarugani Balitang
- March - Ninth Rider Group disappears
Start of Wolf-Speaker
- September - Daine and Numair head to Long Lake
- Daine learns to shapeshift
- Numair transforms Tristan Staghorn into an apple tree
- Yolane of Dunlath is captured for plotting treason
- Maura of Dunlath inherits Fief Dunlath
End of Wolf-Speaker
- Autumn page training begins
- Spring: Dunlath men begin deforesting and mining the area around Long Lake.
- July: Twenty Tortallan soldiers vanish in the Long Lake area.
- August: Brokefang sends Fleetfoot and Russet to find Daine.
- Mid September to Early October: [start of WOLF SPEAKER] While investigating the disappearance of the Riders and soldiers, Daine and Numair -- with the help of Daine's wolf pack and other animals, immortals, and humans -- uncover and put down a plot by Yolane of Dunlath to seize the throne of Tortall. Daine learns to transform entirely into an animal. The mage Tristan Staghorn is transformed into a tree by Numair. Elsewhere in the world, a tree becomes a man named Qiom.
- Late October: Daine and Numair leave Dunlath in the capable hands of ten-year-old Maura, Yolane's half-sister, and her advisors -- human, animal, and immortal -- after Yolane is convicted of high treason. [end of WOLF SPEAKER]
- Midwinter: Numair gives Daine sapphire earrings.
- Approximate birth year of Tobeis Boon in the village of Queensgrace. [Lady Knight, Ch. 2]
- Twelfth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- January - Daine turns 15
- April - Edmund of Rosemark is late for page examinations; refuses to repeat all four years
- Autumn - King Jonathan sends an envoy to Carthak for peace treaties
- Daine meets the Graveyard Hag
- Daine learns that her father is the hunt god, Weiryn
- Emperor Ozorne kidnaps Daine
- Daine destroys the Carthaki Palace
- Ozorne escapes
- Numair's former teacher, Lindhall Reed, emigrates to Tortall
- Crown Prince Kaddar becomes Emperor of Carthak
End of Emperor Mage
- Autumn page training begins
- Midwinter - Barrier between the Divine and Mortal Realms evaporates
- Winter: Daine transforms into a deer and is mistakenly chased by royal huntsmen.
- Spring: On a hunt for killer unicorns, Daine is cornered by bandits and transforms into a goose. A barbed arrow almost results in her losing an arm. Emperor Ozorne claims to capture, try, and execute the "renegade" mages who opened the magical barrier between the human and Divine Realms.
- Autumn: [start of EMPEROR MAGE] A Tortallan delegation, including Daine, Numair, and Alanna, visits Carthak for peace negotiations. Talks break down as portents of disaster occur and it becomes clear that the gods are displeased with Emperor Ozorne. The Graveyard Hag, Carthak's patron goddess, temporarily imbues Daine with the ability to bring the dead to life. When Ozorne supposedly captures and executes Numair (in truth, a simulacrum), Daine brings an army of dinosaur skeletons to life and goes on a rampage. Ozorne transforms into a stormwing, forfeiting his kingdom and his human magic, and escapes. Carthak's five year drought comes to an end when Kaddar, Ozorne's nephew, pleads with the Graveyard Hag to give Carthak another chance. A peace treaty between Tortall and Carthak is signed. [end of EMPEROR MAGE] Kaddar is crowned Emperor of Carthak.
- Midwinter: Uusoae, the Queen of Chaos, begins her campaign against the Great Gods, throwing the human and Divine realms into turmoil. The barrier between realms evaporates. Numair realises his attraction to Daine. Daine begins a casual romance with Perin the clerk. An unnamed squire goes mad in the Chamber of the Ordeal. He drowns himself five months later.
- Thirteenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- January - Daine turns 16
Start of The Realms of the Gods
- Spring thaw - Daine and Numair help protect the realm as the Immortals War begins
- April - Nealan of Queenscove begins page training
- Sir Raoul of Goldenlake is elevated to the peerage; becomes the Lord of Malorie's Peak
- June - Immortals War continues
- Lord Wyldon rescues the youngest princes and princesses from hurroks
- Daine and Numair are saved from skinners and brought to the Divine Realms
- Daine meets Weiryn, Gainel, and several animal gods
- Daine falls into a spider trap and Numair rescues her
- Daine and Numair attend the Dragonmeet
- Battle of Port Legann
- Daine kills Stormwing Ozorne
- Gods punish Uusoae and decide the fate of the immortals
- Keladry of Mindelan turns 10
End of The Realms of the Gods
- Queen Thayet hands over command of the Riders to Buriram Tourakom
- Immortals War ends
- Mindelan family returns from the Yamani Islands
- Eda Bell joins the palace training staff
- Autumn - Keladry of Mindelan applies to be a page; Lord Wyldon and King Jonathan put her on a year's probation
- Kel fights a spidren at Mindelan and decides to train as a page despite probation
- Autumn page training begins
- Keladry of Mindelan begins page training, sponsored by Nealan of Queenscove
- Merric of Hollyrose begins page training, sponsored by Faleron of King's Reach
- Seaver of Tasride begins page training, sponsored by Crown Prince Roald of Conté
- Esmond of Nicoline begins page training, sponsored by Cleon of Kennan
- Quinden of Marti's Hill begins page training, sponsored by Zahir ibn Alhaz
- Kel receives her first gift from her mystery benefactor
- Winter - Kel has her first fight with Joren of Stone Mountain, Vinson of Genlith, and Zahir
- January: Ozorne creates the darkings using Stormwing blood magic. Daine falls ill with unicorn fever.
- Late March: An alliance of Copper Islanders, Carthaki rebels, Scanran raiders, and immortals, led by the former Emperor Ozorne and the mage Inar Hadensra, strike Tortall suddenly in a hundred different places, marking the official start of the Immortals War.
- April: Nealan of Queenscove quits healer training at Tortall's university to begin training for knighthood. Raoul is elevated to the peerage, becoming Sir Raoul of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak. Edmund of Rosemark is late for his 4th year page exams. Lord Wyldon decrees he must repeat all four years, but Edmund refuses and goes home.
- Mid June to Early July: Wyldon of Cavall heroically saves Princes Liam and Jasson and Princess Lianne. Anders of Mindelan is wounded in battle. [start of REALMS OF THE GODS] While war with Scanra, the Copper Isles, and Carthaki raiders, led by Ozorne and the mage Inar Hadensra, rages in Tortall, Daine and Numair are pulled into the Divine Realms by Daine's parents. There, the Great Gods are battling Uusoae, the Queen of Chaos, to keep her from swallowing the mortal and Divine realms. Daine and Numair travel to the Dragonlands to find a way home, beginning a love affair on the way. Returning to Tortall, Daine at last slays the Stormwing Ozorne, bringing about the end of the war. Numair kills Inar Hadensra. The Stormwing Rikash is killed in battle. The Great Gods imprison Uusoae in the Chaos Realm. Numair proposes to Daine, and she tells him maybe someday. [end of REALMS OF THE GODS and the IMMORTALS quartet]
- Fourteenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Keladry of Mindelan has her second fight with Joren of Stone Mountain and his friends
- Winter is described as the "hardest in a decade"
- February - Pages go on an overnight winter hike
- Pages have their first all-out brawl, during training
- March - Lord Wyldon learns that Kel has a fear of heights
- April - Kel passes her first page examination
- June - Pages go on a summer camping trip in the Royal Forest
- Kel turns 11
- Late June - Spidren Hunt with the King's Own and Lord Raoul
- Lord Wyldon chooses to allow Kel to continue her training and ends her probation
Start of Page
- Kel rescues Jump and takes on Lalasa Isran as a maid
- Autumn page training begins
- Kel has her first fight of the year with Joren; Kel protects Owen from hazing
- Pages have their second all-out brawl in the barn, after training
- November - Kel begins training Lalasa in self-defense
- Midwinter - Silent war between Joren's group and Kel's friends occurs during banquet festivities
- Spring: Kel's fear of heights becomes public knowledge when she is forced to run along the top of the castle wall as a training exercise. Her jousting vastly improves due to her training with a weighted lance. Kel and her fellow pages successfully pass the spring page examinations.
- Summer: Pages spend two months at their summer camp. Lord Wyldon tries to force Kel to overcome her fear of heights with daily tree-climbing. Kel turns 11. The pages join a company of the King's Own to hunt down a nest of spidrens. During the fight, Kel assumes command of the pages, successfully fending off and killing a few of the monsters. Back at the palace, Lord Wyldon tells Kel she may return the following year, though he hopes she will choose not to. Pages return home for the remainder of the summer. [end of FIRST TEST] An earthquake in the Yamani Islands causes the death of Imperial Princess Chisakami, who was betrothed to Prince Roald.
- Autumn: 17-year-old Adalia and 16-year-old Oraine of Mindelan are presented at court.
- September to October: [start of PAGE] Kel begins her first official year of page training. She acquires a dog named Jump and a traumatized serving girl named Lalasa. Joren and his friends add sexually charged insults to their campaign against Kel, in the hopes of getting her dismissed for being a distraction. A massive brawl erupts among the pages and damages the stables. Most of the punishments Wyldon assigns Kel now involve high places.
- November: Kel discovers that her breasts are beginning to grow. When a servant harrasses Lalasa, Kel insists on teaching the maid self-defence techniques.
- Late Autumn: Baron Piers and Lady Ilane of Mindelan's return to the Yamani Islands is cancelled. They stay on in Corus to work with the new ambassador in devising a new marriage treaty for Prince Roald.
- Midwinter: Kel develops a crush on Neal. While serving at the Midwinter banquets, Joren and his friends play numerous tricks to make Kel's friends look bad, resulting in extra punishment lessons. The other pages back Kel when she orders Joren to stop. Neal develops a crush on Unline of Hannalof. Kel receives another gift from her mysterious benefactor.
- Fifteenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- February - Pages go on a winter camping trip
- April - Fourth year pages take their Big Exams
- May - Personal squires are selected by knights
- Joren of Stone Mountain becomes squire to Sir Paxton of Nond
- Vinson of Genlith becomes a squire<
- Cleon of Kennan becomes squire to Sir Inness of Mindelan
- Garvey of Runnerspring becomes squire to Sir Jerel of Nenan
- Zahir ibn Alhaz becomes squire to King Jonathan of Conté
- Prince Roald becomes squire to Lord Imrah of Legann
- June - Pages go on a summer camping trip in the hill country
- Joren attempts to make peace with Kel
- Autumn page training begins
- Lord Wyldon begins teaching a Tactics and Strategy class for the older pages
- Lalasa Isran receives her first sewing commission; Kel meets Tianine Plowman, her sister's maid
- Midwinter - Uline of Hannalof and Kieran haMinch announce their betrothal
- Winter: Pages serenade Neal to tease him for his unrequited crush on Uline of Hannalof.
- April: Kel's feelings for Neal continue to grow. She and Lalasa talk about love and crushes. On the day of her page exams, Kel inconveniently starts her first period. Cleon, Roald, Joren, Vinson, Garvey, and Zahir all pass their fourth year page exams and are made squires.
- May: New squires begin to leave the palace with their knight masters. Prince Roald is made squire to Lord Imrah of Legann. Cleon is chosen by Kel's brother, Sir Inness of Mindelan. Joren leaves with Sir Paxton of Nond. Zahir is made squire to King Jonathan.
- June: During the pages' summer training camp, Kel assumes command when she and a group of her friends encounter a party of bandits (Kel's 12th birthday).
- Summer: Uline of Hannalof joins the ranks of Queen Thayet's elite group of Royal Ladies.
- September: Kel spends time with her parents. Lady Ilane offers to get her daughter a birth control charm.
- Late September/Early October: Page training begins, with new lessons on tactics for the older pages. King Jonathan praises Kel for her quick thinking against the bandits.
- October: Uline of Hannalof breaks her arm in the course of her duties as one of the Royal Ladies.
- Late October: The older pages are assigned more advanced lessons in group fighting, archery, and tilting. Lalasa takes on sewing commissions from Kel's sisters. Raoul compliments Kel on her anti-hazing work. Cleon returns with more-than-friendly feelings towards Kel.
- November: Joren returns, claiming to have turned over a new leaf. Iden and Warric ask Kel for help with staff fighting practice.
- Midwinter: Uline of Hannalof and Kieran haMinch announce their betrothal. Kel recieves another gift from her mysterious benefactor.
- Sometime This Year: Blayce Younger of Galla, a student mage, is expelled from the mage school in the City of the Gods for practicing necromancy.
- Sixteenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- March - Vinson of Genlith attacks Lalasa Isran
- April - Fourth year pages take their Big Exams
- Duchess Sarugani Balitang dies in a riding accident
- June - Pages go on a summer camping trip to Fiefs Dunlath, Stone Mountain, and Aili
- Kel turns 13
- November - Pages go on an overnight winter camping trip in the Royal Forest for battle exercises
- Southern clans of Scanra unite and elect Maggur Rathhausak as their war leader
- January: Kel vows to challenge her fear of heights daily with climbing and mapping exercises. Lord Wyldon starts Kel tilting at rings. Senior pages begin learning street fighting tactics.
- February: Kel's page group, under her leadership, beats a larger group of pages in a tactical fighting exercise. Lord Wyldon reluctantly praises her for the first time.
- March: Joren concern-trolls Kel about her fear of heights and her marriage prospects. Vinson assaults Lalasa. Kel threatens to take him before the Court of the Goddess.
- April: Cleon gives Kel an awkward hug before he leaves Corus again. Kel and her friends pass their exams. Faleron and Yancen are made squires.
- June: Kel turns 13. A deputation from Dunlath, including 15-year-old Lady Maura, visits the pages' summer camp.
- Summer: Kel spends time with her with her family at their Corus townhouse and in Port Caynn.
- September: Kel begins her fourth year of page training. Lalasa receives numerous sewing commissions.
- November: On an overnight camping trip in the Royal Forest, the pages stage a mock battle. The defending forces, under Kel's command, win the day.
- Midwinter: Kel receives a longsword from her mysterious benefactor. Adalia of Mindelan marries the younger brother of the heir to Nond.
- Late in the year: Uline of Hannalof marries Kieran haMinch.
- Lerant of Eldorne takes an arrow meant for Raoul, fighting bandits in the Tusaine hills.
- Seventeenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Winter - Queen Thayet commission a gown from Lalasa
- April - Fourth year pages take their Big Exams
- Kel's mystery benefactor purchases Peachblossom for her
End of Page
Start of Squire
- June - Kel turns 14
- Lord Sir Raoul of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak takes Kel as his personal squire
- Baroness Sir Alanna of Pirate's Swoop and Olau takes Neal as her personal squire
- Lalasa opens her own dressmaker's shop in Corus
- Raoul provides Kel with a second riding mount, Hoshi
- Kel meets Sergeant Domitan of Masbolle, Neal's first cousin
- Third Company of the King's Own captures bandits and Kel fights a centaur
- Kel becomes the adoptive mother of a baby griffin
- Autumn - Kel begins tilting practice with Lord Raoul
- Yamani delegation arrives with Princess Shinkokami and Yukimi noh Daiomoru
- December - Joren of Stone Mountain stands trial for paying for the kidnapping of Lalasa
- Midwinter - Kel receives her first kiss, from Cleon of Kennan
- Late March: Nobles begin arriving at the palace for the bi-annual congress to decide on new laws for Tortall. Cleon and Roald return.
- April: Kel is forced to miss her senior page examinations and face her fear of heights to rescue a kidnapped Lalasa and Jump from the top of Balor's Needle. A special ruling allows Kel to take her exams two days later. Kel passes her exams and is made a squire, receiving the personal congratulations of Lord Wyldon and ownership of the warhorse Peachblossom from her mysterious benefactor. [end of PAGE] Ogres invade Tortall over the Tusaine border, and are driven back by Raoul and the King's Own.
- Spring: Great Congress of Tortall's nobles takes place at Corus.
- June: Kel becomes Sir Raoul's squire, and moves into rooms adjacent to his with 3rd Company of the King's Own. Raoul gives her permission to use her glaive.
- June - July: Kel rides out with 3rd Company to hunt down a group of murderous human and centaur bandits. They trap the bandits at the village of Owlshollow, where Kel kills a centaur and rescues a baby griffin, which she is forced to take custody of.
- Autumn: Kel and 3rd Company return to Corus. Raoul begins training Kel in the logistics of command and tilting against an armed opponent.
- November: Kel discovers she is over her crush on Neal, but Cleon's crush on Kel continues unabated. Kel begins daily glaive practice with the Yamani ladies, her own mother, and Queen Thayet.
- December: 3rd Company are called away to deal with rebels and a forest fire, but are recalled to Corus when the orchestrator or Lalasa's kidnapping, revealed to be Joren of Stone Mountain, is put on trial for his crime. He confesses arrogantly and is convicted, but is only required to pay a fine in recompense for his actions. Outraged, Kel requests a private audience with the king and queen, who agree with her that the law is bad, and promise to work to change it.
- Midwinter: Kel plays matchmaker, getting Roald and Shinkokami to relax and talk to each other.
- Eighteenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- January - Third Company escorts ambassadors to and from Tyra
- February - Third Company rids the Bay Cove area of pirates, with the help of Baron George Cooper
- March - Third Company travels south to stay with the Bazhir
- April - Third Company contains flooding in the Drell River basin area
- Fourth year pages take their Big Exams
- May - Third Company returns to the Bazhir and then heads north to Corus; Grand Progress has begun
- June - Kel turns 15
- Kel jousts against Sir Ansil of Groten in a tournament
- Kel jousts against Sir Voelden of Tirrsmont in a tournament
- Griffin parents come to reclaim their baby from Kel, with assistance from Daine
- Kel tilts with Lord Wyldon in a tournament at Fief Blythdin
- Midwinter - Squires take their Ordeals of Knighthood
- Cleon of Kennan passes his Ordeal
- Vinson of Genlith survives his Ordeal, but is later arrested for rape and assault; not knighted
- Joren of Stone Mountain threatens Kel
- Kel learns that Lalasa has been teaching city girls self-defense
- Joren of Stone Mountain dies during his Ordeal
- Lord Burchard of Stone Mountain attacks Kel
- Garvey of Runnerspring passes his Ordeal
- Zahir ibn Alhaz passes his Ordeal
- Prince Roald of Conté passes his Ordeal
- Lord Wyldon resigns his post of Training Master
- Padraig haMinch is choses as the new Training Master; Gareth the Younger takes over in the interim
- Lord Wyldon takes Owen of Jesslaw as his personal squire
- After Midwinter: Kel visits the Chapel of the Ordeal and has a nightmarish vision of her friends being culled by Joren.
- Early Autumn: Kel meets Alanna for the first time. Kel challenges Sir Ansil of Groten to a joust for insulting Raoul. Cleon kisses Kel, prompting talks with Raoul and Lady Ilane. Kel beats Ansil, forcing him to apologise, which he does with bad grace. Kel receives several more challenges, including one from Sir Voelden of Tirrsmont, who tries to kill her. She wins several jousts, meanwhile carrying on a discreet romance with Cleon. The griffin's parents come to reclaim their offspring, with thanks.
- December: The Royal Progress returns to Corus. Raoul and Buri begin a love affair.
- Nineteenth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Winter - Petranne Balitang is born to Duke Mequen and Duchess Winnamine Balitang
- Tortallan spy, Landfall, begins spying in Hamrkeng, Scanra
- Grand Progress stays in Persopolis, in Fief Meron
- Bay Cove is struck by an earthquake; Third Company helps the refugees and rebuilds the town
- Spring - Kel tilts with Lord Wyldon in a tournament in Blue Harbor
- June - Grand Progress moves to Fief Mindelan
- Kel turns 16
- Troops are dispatched to the northern border
- Prince Roald and Princess Shinkokami take over the Progress as the king and queen visit their troops
- King Jonathan and Queen Thayet rejoin the progress
- Autumn - Lachran of Mindelan (Sir Anders's son) begins page training
- Grand Progress ends
- Midwinter - Squires take their Ordeals of Knighthood
- January: The Royal Progress sets out again, heading south into the desert. Kel refuses challenges to joust, and continues her secret romance with Cleon.
- Spring: Kel gets a birth control charm, just in case, and learns that Cleon's intentions towards her are serious, even though he is currently promised elsewhere. Kel tilts against Wyldon again, and managed to stay in her saddle. She meets three young girls who want to be pages.
- June: Word reaches the Progress of heavy raiding along the Scanran border. 3rd company are assigned to protect Jonathan and Thayet's party, while other troops are dispatched north.
- September: Lachran of Mindelan, son of Anders, begins page training.
- Late October: Kel visits the Chapel of the Ordeal and has a vision of Cleon dying.
- Twentieth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- January - Elsren Balitang is born to Duke Mequen and Duchess Winnamine Balitang
- February - Third Company begins resupplying and preparing to head north
- Nineteen men of First Company of the King's Own are killed in combat, including Captain Glaisdan
- April - Third Company begins construction of a fort on the Scanran border
- May - Scanrans attack along the coast
- June - Scanrans attack in the region under Third Company's patrol
- Kel turns 17
- Mid-August - Scanran Army moves to take Northwatch
- Autumn - Alan of Pirate's Swoop starts page training with Lord Imrah of Legann
- Mid-September - Encounters with Scanrans start to drop off
- Kel and Raoul head back to Corus; Third Company stays in the north
- October - Scanrans attack the village of Goatstrack
- October/ November - Kel helps Shinkokami plan her wedding and helps Raoul recruit new members
- Midwinter - Squires take their Ordeals of Knighthood
- Nealan of Queenscove passes his Ordeal
- Yukimi noh Daiomoru and Sir Nealan reveal their mutual affections
- Esmond of Nicoline passes his Ordeal
- Seaver of Tasride passes his Ordeal
- Quinden of Marti's Hill passes his Ordeal
- Merric of Hollyrose passes his Ordeal
- Keladry of Mindelan passes her Ordeal
- Kel received a shield with a distaff border, not see in more than 100 years
- Lady Alanna reveals herself to be Kel's mystery benefactor and presents her with a sword
End of Squire
- February: Myles reports than nine Scanran clans have joined to form a formidable army. First reports of "metal beasts and walking stones"
- Summer: 3rd company take part in a number of small skirmishes, resulting in light casualties. Kel suffers a minor head injury.
- August: A large Scanran war band attacks a supply caravan. Kel, Raoul, and five squads of 3rd company ride to the rescue. Raoul gives Kel the command when Dom is wounded. A giant, metal killing device attacks them, and Kel kills it following a fierce battle. The device speaks with the voice of a child.
- October: Scanrans attack the village of Goatstrack, killing 37, including the husband and daughters of Fanche Weir. Fanche manages to save 58 villagers.
- Midwinter: The Chamber deems Kel worthy, and gives her a mission to find the creator of the Scanran killing devices.
460 - 469 HE
Start of Lady Knight
- Twenty-First year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- March - Maggur Rathhausak unites all Scanran clans under his rule and is named king
- April - Cleon of Kennan returns home
- Lord Wyldon gives Kel command of a refugee camp; Sir Nealan and Sir Merric are to serve with her
- Kel helps her soldiers and convicts continue building the came and names it Haven
- Numair Salmalín brings the first refugees to Haven
- War is officially declared between Tortall and Scanra
- Scanrans attacks Haven with killing devices
- Tirrsmont refugees arrive at Haven
- Anak's Eyrie refugees arrive at Haven during a Scanran attack
- Fort Giantkiller falls
- May - Minor skirmishes continue with the Scanrans
- May/ June - Scanrans attack Haven while Kel and Neal are at Mastiff
- Lord Wyldon orders Kel and her troops to report to Mastiff; she decides to rescue her people instead
- Lord Raoul secretly sends Dom's squad to track and help Kel
- Tobe and Owen of Jesslaw sneak out to help Kel
- Neal and the rest of Kel's friends set out as a "rescue party"
- Kel and company rescue the adult refugees; Kel sends them home with Sirs Merric, Seaver, and Esmond, while she and her soldiers head on to find the children
- Fanche Weir and Saefas Ploughman join Kel's rescue party
- Irnai, a seer girl, calls Kel the Protector of the Small
- Kel and her people rescue the children with the help of the Rathhausak villagers
- Kel battles and kills Stenmun Kinslayer
- Kel battles and kills Blayce the Gallan
- Kel and what's left of her company return to Tortall with the rescued refugees
- Wyldon gives Kel her next command: build and protect a new refugee camp, New Hope
- Kel turns 18
- August - Daine becomes pregnant with a shape-shifter and can no longer serve as a spy
- Prince Roald and Princess Shinkokami get married
- Commander Buri gives up command of the Queen's Riders to her second, Evin Larse
- September - Kel and Neal head to Steadfast for Lord Raoul and Commander Buri's wedding
- Irnai foresees that Neal's daughter will go for a knighthood and his future will be littered with surprises
End of Lady Knight
- Winter: A hard winter makes travel to the north impossible. Neal and Yukimi are betrothed.
- April: Cleon returns home to marry Ermelian of Aminar. General Vanget defeats 3,000 Scanrans in battle on the Vassa plain.
- Twenty-Second year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Prior to February - Princess Kalasin has married Emperor Kaddar of Carthak
Start of Trickster's Choice
- March - Alianne of Pirate's Swoop returns from a month-long visit with her grandparents in Corus
- April - Aly and her mother, Alanna, fight over Aly's design to work in the field as a spy
- Aly sets sail for Port Legann and is captured by pirates
- Aly is sold as a slave to the Balitang family at a sale in Rajmuat, Copper Isles
- Prince Bronau informs the Balitang family that they have lost favor with King Oron and are in exile
- Kyprioth, the Trickster, poses as Mithros to convince Duke Mequen and Duchess Winnamine to keep Aly with their family during exile
- Aly makes a bet with Kyprioth to keep the Balitang children safe through the Autumn Equinox; if she succeeds, Kyrpioth will talk her father into letting her work as a field spy
- Balitang party roots out bandits en route to their new home; daughters Saraiyu and Dovasary prevent the bandits' execution, favoring blood oaths of fealty instead
- Kyprioth informs Aly that she is to learn crow language, taught primarily by a young crow named Nawat, who also has a wager with Kyprioth
- Aly discovers that a spy is watching the Crown
- May - Daine gives birth to her daughter, Sarralyn Salmalín
- Frasrlund, on the border with Scanra, has been under siege and is in stalemate with each nation occupying a bank of the river
- King Jonathan tells Alanna that Alianne is missing
- Nawat assumes human form to better help Aly
- Prince Bronau visits Tanair Castle
- Aly is revealed to the raka protectors of Sarai and Dove as Kyprioth's chosen one
- Aly informs that Balitangs of Prince Bronau's risky behavior
- Junai Dodeka is chosen as Aly's guard
- Prince Bronau and the Balitangs visit the village of Pohon; Aly seeks out its mage
- June 22 (Midsummer) - Daine and Numair's daughter has her naming ceremony
- June/ July - Assassins come to Tanair
- King Oron dies shortly after naming his son Hazarin as his successor
- Prince Bronau leaves for Hazarin's coronation
- Ochobu Dodeka comes to Tanair to protect Sarugani's heirs
- Diplomats from Scanra head to Corus to negotiate peace
- Baron George leaves Pirate's Swoop and heads to Rajmuat to find his daughter
- King Hazarin dies and the toddler, Prince Dunevon, is crowned king
- Prince Bronau attempts to kidnap Dunevon and is charged with high treason
- Aly defends Kyprioth before Mithos and the Goddess
- Prince Bronau flees the capital and heads to Tanair where fighting has started
- Crows take human form to defend the Balitang family
- Prince Rubinyan comes to Tanair to collect his brother; after learning of Bronau's and Mequen's deaths, he asks the Balitangs to return to Rajmuat
- George arrives at Tanair Castle in search of Aly
- Autumn/ Winter - Prince Rubinyan tells Duchess Winnamine that there will be no more unnecessary executions
- Princess Imajane declares that full mourning regalia is "disrespectful to the Black God" and only a discreet black armband or black embroidery is appropriate for the mourning of King Oron, King Hazarin, and Duke Mequen
- Aly and the raka start seriously planning a rebellion to but Lady Saraiyu on the throne
- Lady Dove pieces together the raka conspiracy
End of Trickster's Choice
- Twenty-Third year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Winter - Raka continue preparing for revolution in the Copper Isles
- Tax collectors vanish from their beds, properties are damaged, and nobles and overseers are murdered
- Lady Saraiyu refuses to continue sword training
- Aly builds a cadre of spies and earns the nickname duani, meaning "boss lady"
- Spring/ Summer - Aly sends spies to Rajmuat three weeks before the Balitangs leave Tanair
- Balitang family relocated to Rajmuat with Mequen's Aunt Nuritin
- Nawat reveals that Kyprioth's wager with the crows was with all crows of the Copper Isles, not just those at Tanair
- Dove is let in on the secret of the planned rebellion, and advises the group not to tell Sarai or Duchess Winnamine; Dove doesn't want the duchess to force Elsren to take a blood oath leaving the way for Sarai to take the crown
- Aly is questioned by Duke Lohearn Mantawu while the Balitangs go to court to meet the regents for the young king
- Tkaa reveals himself at court and gives Aly messages from home
- Sarai meets Lord Zaimid Hetnim, the youngest ever head of the Carthaki Imperial University Healers' Wing and friend and cousin to Emperor Kaddar
- At Nawat's request, Ulasim sends him and other crows to aid distant fighters
- Scanran War with Tortall ends
- Alan of Pirate's Swoop becomes squire to Lord Raoul
- Princess Shinkokami is pregnant with her daughter, Lianokami
- Daine is pregnant with her second child, Rikash, and sends darkings to Aly to help her spy
- Tortallan spymaster sends funds to the Copper Isles to support the raka rebellion
- A riot breaks out in the street of Rajmuat; Sarai struggles to help, but Aly and Dove do not permit her to do so
- Zaimid heals the raka who are injured in the riot
- Dockmarket is magically blown up and a fire breaks out that destroys the ships at the dock
- Imajane and Rubinyan host an eclipse party, reinterpreting standard religion/ mythology to make it fashionable
- Aly's spies release political prisoners from the Kanodang Fortress as more riots break out in Rajmuat
- Imajane and Rubinyan offer a marriage contract between King Dunevon and Lady Sarai
- Graveyard Hag prevents Aly from stopping Sarai running away with Zaimid
- Kyprioth is furious with Aly for letting Sarai get away, but she reminds him that Dove is still available from the crown and is better suited for a queen's work
- For three days, all raka businesses and households close down
- Royal governors of Imahyn and Kerykun Islands are murdered
- Imajane and Rubinyan offer a marriage contract between King Dunevon and Lady Dove
- Aly has the army and navy food supplies sabotaged so the regents will press the merchants for food at a lower cost and make enemies of them
- King Dunevon, Duke Elsren, and three other young boys are lost at sea in a magical storm on the king's birthday
- Nawat returns home from his mission to a joyful reunion with Aly
- Week after Dunevon's death - Regents impose martial law on Rajmuat
- Duchess Winnamine and Aunt Nuritin demand to become part of the conspiracy
- Duke Nomru and Imgehai Qeshi join the conspiracy
- Tortall and Carthak put the Copper Isles under a trading ban until the king's murder is found
- Tyra contemplates putting the Copper Isles under a trading ban as well
- August - A riot breaks out in Rittevon Square when assassins try to kill Dove
- End of August - only the island of Ikang, and parts of the islands of Malubesang and Lombyn resist Dove's rule
- Kyprioth regains his throne as god of the Copper Isles while Mithros and the Goddess look for their shields that he has hidden
- September - Dove requests that Aly stay on as her spymaster
- Winnaming and Dove receive a letter from Sarai; she is married, and pregnant, and planning to visist as soon as she is able
- Sarai and Zaimid plan to name their child Mequen if it is a boy
- Aly finally tells Dove, Chenaol, Fesgao, and Winnamine the truth about her origins
- October - Delegation from Tortall arrives in the Isles for the official "Season", in preparation of Dove's Midwinter coronation
- December - Dove is crowned Queen of the Copper Isles the day after the last day of Midwinter
- Twenty-Fourth year of the reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall
- Alan comes to the Copper Isles to bring word that the delegation should return to Tortall
- Aly marries Nawat
- April - Tortallan delegation prepares to head home
- Aly gives birth to triplets: Ochobai, Junim, and Ulasu Crow
- Owen of Jesslaw marries Margarry of Cavall, the youngest daughter of Lord Wyldon and Lady Vivenne of Cavall