|Type||Capital, Port City|
|Location||Southern edge of Kypriang Island in the Copper Isles|
|Climate|| Hot and humid|
Stormy in summertime
|Bodies of water||Rajmuat Harbor|
|Established||Before 181 HE|
|Official Language|| Kyprish|
|Residents|| Tomang family|
|Law Enforcement||Rittevon's Lance|
|Major Events||Raka rebellion|
|Landmarks||Example Display Ground|
|Notable Buildings|| Grey Palace|
|Head of State||Dovasary Balitang|
|Tortallan Universe place|
|First Appeared||Trickster's Choice|
|Latest Appearance||Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales|
There are several districts of Rajmuat.
- The Greater Fortress, also the location of the Example Display Ground
- Windward District
- Middle Town
- Market Town
- Swan District
- Flowergarden District
- Downwind District
- The Honeypot
Rajmuat was the capital city before the Luarin Conquest led by Rittevon of Lenman and Ludas Jimajen. It was held by the raka queens of old, though it probably looked differently to how it did in the 460s HE. The queens' Grey Palace was built there, known throughout the land, and where people could visit in order to see real beauty.
Kyprish is the main language of Rajmuat, like other areas of the Copper Isles, but it has a distinct accent.
Some of the most exemplary buildings are found in Rajmuat, including the Grey Palace, which dates back far before the Rittevon rulers.
Stucco is used as a wall covering in both poorer and wealthier areas of the city, and clay tiles are often used for roofing. In the wealthier areas, families live in extremely ornate villas. The Balitangs' home had large pillars that lined the front porch, and a layered roof.
Laws and Punishments
- It is expressly forbidden for slaves to carry any kind of weaponry. The exact punishment is unknown, but likely extreme.
- Attacking a member of the royal family, even a second-tier member, is punishable by death. This is the case in all the Isles.
- May HE — Aly is sold as a slave to the Balitang family after Kyprioth interferes with her sale.
- May 6th — Oron Rittevon exiles his first cousin, Mequen Balitang, from Rajmuat.
- Early summer — Hazarin Rittevon succeeds his father, King Oron. Names Prince Dunevon as his successor, with a regency council made up of Imajane Rittevon and Rubinyan Jimajen.
- Late summer — Dunevon succeeds Hazarin as king.
- Fall — Bronau Jimajen attempts to kidnap King Dunevon in an impulsive power play.
- The Balitang family is pardoned; they return to Rajmuat.
- Wealthier residential areas are beginning to show signs of trouble: burn marks on stone and hastily whitewashed stucco.
Rajmuat was where the raka rebellion took place in full force, although other conspirators on other islands also rebelled against the regime. The rebel conspirators gave the raka of Rajmuat hope by painting an open shackle on buildings and walls, so that people could spread the work of the queen-to-be, and of the end of a cruel dynasty.
In the late summer of 463 HE, the final battle started between the rebels and those loyal to House Rittevon, after Crown assassins attempted to murder Dovasary Balitang on the streets of Rajmuat while the Balitangs were returning home from a royal event. She was rescued by a large, wild kudarung, showing that the wild horses had chosen Dove as the new queen of the Isles. During the battle, Dove flew over the city on the wild kudarung that rescued her in order to bring hope to the rebel forces. They were victorious, but suffered many losses. On Midwinter of 464, Dovasary crowned herself queen of the Copper Isles and restored Kyprioth to his rightful place as patron god.
Notes and References
- ↑ Trickster's Queen, map of Rajmuat in the first few pages of the book
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Trickster's Queen, Ch. 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Trickster's Choice, Ch 2. (pp. 32—35; Random House paperback)
- ↑ Trickster's Choice, Ch. 4 (pg. 93; Random House paperback)
- ↑ Trickster's Queen, Ch. 12 (pg. 900; Random House ebook). Sarai is mentioned to be Dunevon's second cousin, which means Oron and Mequen are first cousins.
- ↑ Trickster's Choice, Ch. 11
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Trickster's Choice, Ch. 14