It is one of the oldest and most prestigious centers of learning in the world, and is where the emperors of Carthak have received their education for generations.
Graduates must adhere to the magical laws set about by the university. Inar Hadensra, a powerful Scanran mage in the 5th century HE, didn't want a black robe as he knew the university would try to limit his magic and prowess.
School for Mages
The School for Mages has a Lower Academy and an Upper Academy. The Lower Academy teaches magic to younger students, starting around ten years of age until about fifteen. The Upper Academy takes students at sixteen until they receive accreditation.
All magic instructors hold the honorific "Master", whether male or female.
- Headmaster Cosmas
- Master Dagani
- Master Girisunika
- Master Hulak
- Master Lindhall
- Master Ramasu
- Master Sebo
- Master Yadeen
Students learn a variety of subjects, all centered on the Gift. Although wild magic is a noted form of magic, the university knows it cannot teach it, because one is either born with it or not. They know of it due to their proximity to the Banjiku, a tribe where wild magic manifests more often than not.
List of Lessons:
- History of the Carthaki Empire
- Essentials of Water Magic
- Language studies: Old Thak
- Reading and writing
- Essential Earth Magic
- The Tools of Magic: bowls, mortar and pestle, salt, water, vials
- Elyot of Aspen Vale, an orange robe mage
- Cassine Catfoot, one of the 12 black robe mages of the 3rd century
- Ironwood of Sinthya, either attended this university or the City of the Gods
- Dolsa Silkweb, member of the rebel conspiracy in 249 HE
- Iceblade Regengar, specialized in wind and weather magic
- Lindhall Reed, taught botany and zoology at the university
- Numair Salmalín (formerly Arram Draper), a black robe mage
- Tristan Staghorn, war magic, a prodigy
- Gissa of Rachne, poisoner and potioneer
- Alamid Mokhlos
- Emperor Ozorne
- Kaddar Iliniat, not a strong Gift
- Zaimid Hetnim, imperial healer under Emperor Kaddar
- Varice Kingsford
The university has been a rival with the City of the Gods for hundreds of years, since before the 3rd century. In the 5th century, Tortall founded the royal university of Corus, which became a major rival university although it had only been in existence for a short while.